Data flow: Activating an Android Enterprise device
This data flow applies to devices activated with the
Work space only) or (
Work and personal - full control) activation types.
- You perform the following actions:
- Add a user toBlackBerry UEMas a local user account or using the account information retrieved from your company directory
- Make sure that the "Android Enterprise(Work space only)" or "Work and personal - full control” activation type is assigned to the user
- Allow activation QR codes to include the activation password and the location to download theBlackBerry UEM Client.
- The user resets their device to the factory default settings.
- The device restarts and displays a Welcome or Start screen.
- The user performs the following actions:
- Opens the activation email they received on their computer or another device
- Taps the device screen seven times to open a QR code reader
- Connects the device to the workWi-Finetwork
- Scans the QR code in the activation email
- The device performs the following actions:
- Prompts the user to encrypt the device and restarts
- Downloads theUEM Clientfrom the download location specified by the QR code and installs it
- TheUEM Clientestablishes a connection withBlackBerry UEMand sends an activation request toBlackBerry UEM. The activation request includes the username, password, device operating system, and unique device identifier.
- BlackBerry UEMperforms following actions:
- Inspects the credentials for validity
- Creates a device instance
- Associates the device instance with the specified user account in theBlackBerry UEMdatabase
- Adds the enrollment session ID to an HTTP session
- Sends a successful authentication message to the device
- TheUEM Clientrequests all configuration information and sends the device and software information toBlackBerry UEM.
- BlackBerry UEMstores the device information in the database and sends the requested configuration information to the device.
- TheUEM Clientdetermines if the device usesKnox Platform for Enterpriseand is running a supported version. If the device usesKnox Platform for Enterprise, the device connects to the localSamsungon-premises licensing server and activates theKnoxmanagement license. After it's activated, theUEM Clientapplies the appropriateAndroid EnterpriseIT policy rules.
- The device sends an acknowledgment toBlackBerry UEMthat it received and applied the configuration information. The activation process is complete.