Infrastructure and enterprise activation
BlackBerry Dynamicsapp is installed on a user’s device, the user must activate the app in order to use it. The activation process registers the app with the management server and gives the app access to the full capabilities of the
BlackBerry Dynamicsplatform. The activation process ensures that all end users are fully authorized and permitted to use the app.
Users can activate a
BlackBerry Dynamicsapp manually using an activation password, QR code, or access key provided by the administrator or obtained from
UEM Self-Service, by using the
UEM Client, through a third-party IDP, such as
Okta, or by using the Easy Activation feature described below.
Easy Activation simplifies the process of activating multiple
BlackBerry Dynamicsapps on a user’s device. With Easy Activation, a device user only needs to activate the first
BlackBerry Dynamicsapp on their device; when the user installs additional
BlackBerry Dynamicsapps, the user can choose to delegate the activation process to the previously activated app. Any
BlackBerry Dynamicsapp can be an activation delegate, but priority is given to the app that is configured as the authentication delegate.
Easy Activation is automatically enabled for all
BlackBerry Dynamicsapps that are produced by
BlackBerry. To enable Easy Activation for your custom
BlackBerry Dynamicsapp, the
UEMadministrator must specify the app package ID (
Android) or bundle ID (
iOS) in the
BlackBerry Dynamicsapp settings in the management console. Contact your organization’s administrator to provide this information. For instructions for specifying the package ID or bundle ID for an app, see Manage settings for a BlackBerry Dynamics app in the UEM Administration content.
On the application side, Easy Activation is enabled by default by the
BlackBerry Dynamics Runtime.
For more information, see the Easy Activation section in the BlackBerry Dynamics Security White Paper.
iOSuser enrollment and DEP activation enhancements
BlackBerry Dynamics SDK for iOSversion 8.0 and later and
UEMversion 12.13 and later feature the following activation enhancements for
iOSuser enrollment and DEP:
- MDM enrollment and the activation ofBlackBerry Dynamicsapps doesn’t require theUEM Client.
- After a new device is enrolled onUEM,UEMprompts the user to install theBlackBerry Dynamicsapp that is configured as the authentication delegate (that app must be assigned to the user). When the user opens this app for the first time, it activates automatically. The user can then activate additionalBlackBerry Dynamicsapps using Easy Activation.
The programmatic activation feature enables a
BlackBerry Dynamicsapp to activate without any user interaction and without displaying activation prompts or progress screens. This can be useful when targeting your apps to a consumer audience or for developing apps for devices that have limited or no means of user input.
Note the following implementation details:
- Decide whether you want users to specify a password to unlock aBlackBerry Dynamicsapp after the initial activation. You can use programmatic activation while still requiring users to type a password to unlock the app. This setting is configured in aBlackBerry Dynamicsprofile inUEM.
- To activate the app, your application server must use the BlackBerry Web Services REST APIs to retrieve the user credentials and to generate an access key. You may need to create a newUEMuser account or to lookup an existing user account. See the User resource in the BlackBerry Web Services REST API reference for the available REST APIs that can be used to create a user, lookup a user, and to generate an access key.
- Pass the user credentials to the app and callprogrammaticActivityInitorprogrammaticAuthorizewith the retrieved credentials, settingShowUserInterfaceto false.
- ForAndroid, receive the broadcast eventGD_STATE_ACTIVATION_ACTIONto track activation progress fromNotActivatedtoInProgresstoActivated. You can choose to display a progress indicator during this short period.
- ForiOS, observeGDState.BBActivationStateto track activation progress fromNotActivatedtoInProgresstoActivated. You can choose to display a progress indicator during this short period.
- Once activation completes, the user is prompted to set a password (unless you’ve configured theBlackBerry Dynamicsprofile to not require a password). The app should wait for theGD_STATE_AUTHORIZED_ACTIONnotification.