Video support FAQ
Q. What are the limitations in
BlackBerry Accesscapability to trap all video elements and in the website and stream securely through
Apple's webkit to render the HTML data, it isn't possible to catch all video elements and redirect them through the
BlackBerry Dynamicsnetwork. Instead,
BlackBerry Accesswill run some additional
BlackBerry Accessapplication logic when it needs to fetch data so that the video data can be streamed through
BlackBerry Dynamics. There are few limitations due to the fact that
BlackBerry Accesstranslates video elements after the page is loaded:
- While a page is being loaded (not fully loaded), if the user taps on any of video elements, the player may request data directly and not go throughBlackBerry Dynamics. The video playback may not work if the HTTP server that hosts video can't be reached directly. Users must wait for the page to load completely, and the video icons must be replaced byBlackBerry Accessplayback icons.
- Some of the pages have logic to dynamically create video elements based on user action after the page is loaded. These dynamically inserted video elements may not be playable throughBlackBerry Accesssecured streaming.
Q. What are the requirements for video to be streamed and played in
BlackBerry Accesssupports secure streaming of video files hosted within corporate intranet through HTTP based video streaming over
BlackBerry Dynamicsbased secured connection. The current solution requires the following setup to work seamlessly:
- The HTTP server hosting video has to support range requests. Otherwise the video can't be played back.
- The network over which the device is connected to should be able to support the minimum bitrate needed by video files. The bitrate differs based on resolution of video, not meeting this rate will either not play back the video or will have a lot of pauses while the player is trying to buffer the data.
- It is recommended to haveBlackBerry Accessconnected to theGood Proxyserver usingBlackBerry Dynamics Direct Connectinstead of through theBlackBerry Dynamics NOCfor less latency and better video playback.
Q. What video files are supported by
iOSnative video player and should support most of audio/video codecs and containers supported by the native player.
BlackBerry Accesshas been tested for video and audio encoded with AAC, MP3, MPEG 4, H.264, and MP4 contained in video containers.
BlackBerry Accessdoesn't support 3GP.
Q. What is maximum size of video file supported?
BlackBerry Accessuses 32 bit values to keep track of video offset, so it can support up to 2 GB of data. Only video files up to 700 MB have been tested.
Q. Where are video files buffered and what are limitations with buffering?
BlackBerry Accesshas a limited amount of buffering in RAM (volatile program memory). The memory is capped at 20 MB currently, and no video data is stored in the file. Because caching doesn't persist in the file, the video player may have to fetch the same data repeatedly depending on how the user plays the video.
Q. Why does it take lot of time to start video playback when I go forward or back in a video?
Because seeking requires
BlackBerry Accessto fetch data from the network by issuing new connections and requesting a new data range, it takes time for the connection request and fetch depending on the current bandwidth and latency. Also, because of limited non-persistent buffering,
BlackBerry Accessmay not have previously played data when user seeks back while watching video and must request the data from server again.
Q. How do I download video file and watch it later?
The download option is available only for the video files.Whole locations are referred in the link tag (href) or when the video URL is entered in the address bar.
BlackBerry Accessdoesn't support download to file for videos that are embedded in HTML files using <video> tags.
Q. Why does my
BlackBerry Accessapplication lock while watching video?
This because of a security restriction in
BlackBerry Dynamicsand the IT policy. The video player doesn't reset the idle timeout, so the device can lock while user is watching video. You may have to tap the screen now and then to reset the idle timeout.
Q. Is Apple's HTTP live streaming supported?