Assign an app to a user group
When you assign apps to a user group, the apps are made available to any applicable devices that the members of the user group have activated. You can also assign apps to user groups for device types that the members of the user group have not activated yet. This makes sure that if any member of the group activates a different device type in the future, the proper apps are made available to new devices.
If a user account is a member of multiple user groups that have the same apps or app groups assigned to them, only one instance of the app or app group appears in the list of assigned apps for that user account. The same app can be assigned directly to the user account, or inherited from user groups or device groups. The settings for the app (for example, whether the app is required) are assigned based on priority. Device groups have the highest priority, then user accounts, then user groups.
- Add the app to the available app list.
- Optionally, add the apps to an app group.
- On the menu bar, clickGroups > User.
- In the group list, click the name of the user group.
- In theAssigned appssection, click .
- In the search field, type the app name, vendor, or URL of the app that you want to add.
- Select the check box beside the apps or app group that you want to assign to the user group.
- In theDispositiondrop-down list for the app, perform one of the following actions:
- To require users to install the app, selectRequired.
- To permit users to install and remove the app, selectOptional.If the same app is assigned to a user account, a user group that the user belongs to, and the device group the device belongs to, the disposition of the app assigned in the device group takes precedence.
- ForiOSdevices, to assign per-app VPN settings to an app or app group, in thePer app VPNdrop-down list for the app or app group, select the settings to associate with the app or app group.
- ForiOSandAndroiddevices, if there is an available app configuration, select the app configuration to assign to the app.