Assign an app group to a user group
When you assign an app group to a user group, the apps in the app group are made available to any applicable devices that the members of the user group have activated. You can also assign apps to user groups for device types that the members of the user group have not activated yet. This makes sure that if any member of the group activates a different device type in the future, the proper apps are made available to new devices.
If a user account is a member of multiple user groups that have the same apps or app groups assigned to them, only one instance of the app group appears in the list of assigned apps for that user account. The same app can be assigned directly to the user account, or inherited from user groups or device groups. The settings for the app (for example, whether the app is required) are assigned based on priority: device groups have the highest priority, then user accounts, then user groups.
Add the apps to an app group.
- On the menu bar, clickGroups.
- On theUser groupstab, click the name of a group.
- In theAssigned appssection, click .
- In the search field, type the name of the app group that you want to add.
- Select the check box beside the apps or app group that you want to assign to the user group.
- In theDispositiondrop-down list for the app, perform one of the following actions:
- To require users to install the app, selectRequired.
- To permit users to install and remove the app, selectOptional.If the same app is assigned to a user account, a user group that the user belongs to, and the device group the device belongs to, the disposition of the app assigned in the device group takes precedence.
- ForiOSdevices, to assign per-app VPN settings to an app or app group, in thePer app VPNdrop-down list for the app or app group, select the settings to associate with the app or app group.
- Perform one of the following tasks:TaskStepsIf you have not added a VPP account or you are not adding aniOSappClickAssign.If you are adding aniOSapp and you have added at least one VPP account
Users must follow the instructions to enroll in your organization's VPP on their devices before they can install prepaid apps. Users have to complete this task once.If you grant access to more licenses than you have available, the first users who access the available licenses can install the app. If the app is a required app that does not have an available license, you must obtain the license before the user can install the app or the user will be subject to any compliance rules that you have assigned to the user.
- SelectYesif you want to assign a license to theiOSapp. SelectNo, if you do not want to assign a license or you do not have a license to assign to the app.
- If you have assigned a license to the app, in theApp licensedrop-down list, select the VPP account to associate with the app.
- In theAssign license todrop-down list, assign the license to theUserorDevice. If no value is specified in theApp licensedrop-down list, theAssign license todrop-down list is not available.