What is Direct Connect?
By default, the
BlackBerry Dynamicsapps on users’ devices connect to the
BlackBerry DynamicsNOC to connect to a
BlackBerry Proxyinstance behind your organization's firewall. Depending on the physical distance between devices and the
BlackBerry DynamicsNOC, connections might experience some network latency.
To mitigate these issues, you can enable
BlackBerry Dynamics Direct Connect.
BlackBerry Dynamicsapps to bypass the connection to the NOC and connect directly to a
BlackBerry Proxyinstance behind your organization’s firewall. If devices are physically closer to the
BlackBerry Proxyinstances in your domain than they are to the
Direct Connectcan reduce network latency.
You can also configure
BlackBerry Dynamicsapps to connect through a web proxy server in the DMZ when they connect to a
This feature provides benefits in the following situations:
- Enhanced control over work data:App data flows only between devices and the work network. Direct Connect can be used when organizations have additional data privacy requirements that restrict user data from leaving their networks and do not want their user and enterprise data to be routed through theBlackBerry Dynamics NOC. When this feature is enabled,BlackBerry Dynamicsapps make a connection to theBlackBerry Proxydirectly instead of connecting through theBlackBerry Dynamics NOCto connect to an app server inside your organization's network.
- Improved network performance:Depending on the physical distance between devices and theBlackBerry Dynamics NOC, connections might experience some network latency. To mitigate these issues, when Direct Connect is enabled,BlackBerry Dynamicsapps bypass the connection to theBlackBerry Dynamics NOCand connect directly to aBlackBerry Proxyinstance behind your organization’s firewall. If devices are physically closer to theBlackBerry Proxyinstances in your domain than they are to theBlackBerry Dynamics NOC, network latency is reduced.
- Improved user experience:Faster app response times and support for additional types of apps such as VoIP and video.
- Easy implementation of mixed mode:Direct Connect is configured individually for eachBlackBerry Proxyinstance, so that in larger environments someBlackBerry Proxyservers can use the standard NOC connection and some can use Direct Connect.BlackBerry Proxyservers within the same cluster should be configured the same way (either Direct Connect-enabled, or standard NOC-enabled).
Even with Direct Connect configured, the
BlackBerry Dynamics NOCis still a critical part of the architecture. Connectivity to the NOC is required for:
- Provisioning of apps on mobile devices
- Notifications of policy updates to active (open)BlackBerry Dynamicscontainers. For inactive containers, the policy updates take place the next time the container opens. Real-time notification requires a connection to the NOC.
Direct Connect requires a public DNS record for inbound connections on the external firewall.