Create a weather alert rule
To begin processing Integrated Weather Alerts, you must create alert rules that are designed to trigger alert templates. Each weather alert rule must contain a selected county and an alert template before it can be enabled.
You must create weather alert rules for each organization you want to send integrated weather alerts from.
- Log in to theBlackBerry AtHocmanagement system.
- In the navigation bar, clickAlerts>Alert Rules.
- On theAlert Rulespage, click theWeathertab.
- ClickNew Rule.
- On theNew Rulepage, in theGeneralsection, enter a name for the rule and select the option to enable the rule.
- In theConditionsection, clickSelectbesideCounties.
- On theSelect Countieswindow, on theAll Countiestab, select one or more counties. You can clickAll Statesto filter counties by state. You can also search for a specific zip code.
- Optionally, click theSelected Countiestab to verify the counties you selected.
- Optionally, clickModifyto change your county selection.
- ClickApply. You are returned to the New Rule page. The counties you selected appear in the Counties area.
- Optionally, select aWeather Severity. The following severities are available: Extreme, Severe, Moderate, Minor, and Unknown. You can select one, multiple, or all severities.
- Optionally, select aWeather Type. You can select one, multiple, or all weather types. See Weather types for the list of available weather types.
- Optionally, select aMessage Type. The following message types are available: Alert, Cancel, and Update. You can select one, multiple, or all message types. SelectAlertto send an initial alert to targeted users. SelectUpdateto update and replace an existing alert. SelectCancelto cancel an earlier alert.
- In theActionsection, select an alert template.
- Optionally, select theOverride Geo Informationoption. When selected, the map from the incoming weather feed overrides any map in the alert template. If the alert template has geo-targeting enabled, the alert is triggered for the location from the feed. If not selected, the map and geo-targeting from the original alert template is used in the triggered alert.
- ClickSave. The new weather alert rule is created and enabled by default.
One alert is generated per rule when an incoming feed matches the rule criteria. All conditions you specify must be met by a weather feed before an alert is triggered. For example, if you select Extreme for Weather Severity, and Coastal Flood Warning for Weather Type for San Mateo county, only weather feeds that are extreme severity coastal flood warnings that target San Mateo county trigger the selected alert template.