Create a user attribute
User attributes can be managed at the system, Enterprise, or organizational level. Inheritance rules can have an impact on who can use them, so verify that you are creating them at the correct organization level. For more information, see “Manage common content with inheritance” in the
BlackBerry AlertEnterprise Planning and Management Guide
- In the navigation bar, click .
- In theUserssection, clickUser Attributes.
- On theUser Attributesscreen, clickNewand select one of the following attribute types:
The New Attribute screen displays all of the fields required to create a user attribute.
- Date Time
- Multi-select Picklist
- Single-select Picklist
- In theNamefield, enter the name that will be displayed when the attribute appears in lists or on fields within the system. The attribute name has a 128 character limit.If the user attribute will be used for preset response options, enter “RO” before the name. Operators can identify it as a response option when publishing an alert.
- Optionally, in theTooltipfield, enter a hint that will pop up when users hover their cursor over the attribute field.
- Optionally, in theHelp Textfield, enter text that will appear under the corresponding field within the application.
- Optionally, modify theCommon Namevalue.The value of the Common Name field is by default the same as the Attribute Name value. You can change it, but typically it is not changed. The common name has a 128 character limit.
- SelectUsers Can Updateif users need to modify the value.
- SelectMandatoryif the attribute is a required field in the user profile.
- Optionally, selectUse as a Response Option.Only Single-select Picklist, Status, and Checkbox attribute types can be used as a response option. Attributes used as response options can have up to 9 values.
- Complete theValuessection.Depending on the attribute type that you selected, one of the following fields appears below the Data Type screen:
- Length: For text attribute types, enter the minimum and maximum number of characters that end users will have to enter in the attribute field.
- Minimum Value(number)/Maximum Value(number): Set the range for the field by entering the minimum and maximum number a user may enter.
- Minimum Value(date)/Maximum Value(date): Set the date-range for the field by entering the first and last dates it covers.
- Minimum Value(date/time)/Maximum Value(date/time): Set the date-range and time-range for the field by entering the first and last dates and times it covers.
- Picklist values: For single- and multi-select picklist types, enter each of the values that a user will be able to select in the attribute field. Specify the order in which the values appear in the list.The sort order will be the same anywhere the attribute is displayed. This is also the order users will be sorted when sending an alert that contains escalation rules.User attributes that have a data type of single-select picklist appear in the Response Options list in the alert's Content section.
- Selected by Default: For Checkbox type attributes, select Yes in this field if you want the attribute to be selected by default whenever it appears.
- Map Icon: For Geolocation type attributes, you can select the icon that you want to display on maps to represent the attribute. For this option, the optional Save Location History option appears beside the Map Icon. Select it if you want to keep track of where the icon is located on the map over time.
- Optionally, complete thePage Layoutsection:
- Select the pages and sections on which you want the user attribute to appear.
- For each page listed in the section, click the drop-down list and select the location where you want the user attribute to appear or selectDo not showto avoid having it appear anywhere on the corresponding page.
- Optionally, complete thePersonnel Reportssection:
- For the following attribute types, selectAvailable for reporting.
You can create a personnel report based on the attribute and its values.
- Single- and multi-select picklist
- Checkbox (Yes/No)
- Enter a report name and description. You can view this report fromReports>Personnel.