Restrict a user base by attributes
A user base can be restricted based on standard or user attributes assigned to end users, as well as membership in organizational hierarchies. The user base is defined using dynamic queries that are performed when an alert is created and when it is published.
If a parent operator has an unrestricted userbase, they can use either the AND or OR operators when assigning permissions to other operators. If a parent operator has a restricted userbase, they can only use the AND operator when assigning permissions to other operators. This prevents operators with a restricted userbase from assigning another operator permissions to access a less restricted userbase.
- In the navigation bar, clickUsers.
- Click anywhere in the row containing the operator name.The details of the operator are displayed.
- ClickEdit Operator Permissions.
- On the user details screen, scroll down to theUser Basesection and selectRestricted.
- Select the AND/OR operator. When AND is selected, the user attribute must meet all conditions to restrict the user base. When OR is selected, attributes that match any of the conditions are included. The default is AND.
- On theCreate Conditionsscreen, clickSelect Attributeand select the first attribute you want to use as restriction criteria.
- In theSelect Operatorfield, select the operator that you want to assign to the attribute.The list of operators varies depending on the type of attribute selected.
- In the next field that appears, enter or select a value for the attribute.
- Optionally, click theAdd Conditionbutton and then repeat steps 7 through 9 for each additional attribute condition you want to add.
- Optionally, if your organization is set up to display organizations, in theOrganization Hierarchysection of theUser Attributedrop-down list, select one or more options that the operator can select from as alert targets.Users must belong to the selected organizational nodes and meet the other specified attribute conditions in order to be included in a user base.
- When you are done creating restriction criteria, clickApply.
- Optionally, on theOperator Permissionsscreen, view the list of end users who meet the criteria by clickingView usersin theUser Basesection.