Switch to a new device
When you switch to a new BlackBerry device, BlackBerry Link backs up the data from your old device and transfers the data to your new device, adds your new device to BlackBerry Link, and checks the device software version installed on your new device. If a software update is available, BlackBerry Link prompts you to update your device software.
- On your computer, open BlackBerry Link.
- Connect your new device to your computer using a USB cable.
- If prompted, type the password for your device. Click OK.
- Click Switch Devices.
- When prompted, connect your old device to your computer using a USB cable.
- On the side of your screen, click your new device.
If you switch from a device running BlackBerry 10 OS, do one of the following:
- To transfer all of your existing device data to your new device, click Transfer all supported data. Click Next. BlackBerry Link backs up all of your device data.
- To transfer only certain data to your new device, click Select data to transfer. Select the checkbox beside the data that you want to transfer to your new device. Click Next. BlackBerry Link backs up your device data. Click Next.
- When prompted, reconnect your new device to your computer using a USB cable.
- Wait for BlackBerry Link to restore data to your device.
- Click Finish.
- Move your media card (if you have one) from your old device to your new device.
- Move your micro SIM card from your old device to your new device. If you switch from a BlackBerry smartphone running BlackBerry 7.1 or earlier, contact your wireless service provider for a micro SIM card for your new device.
- If you switch from a BlackBerry smartphone that is associated with the BlackBerry Internet Service or a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, set up your personal or work email accounts on your new device. For more information about adding an email account, tap the Help app on the home screen of your device.
- After you confirm that all of your device data transferred successfully to your new device and you no longer need your old device, you can reset your old device to its default settings and delete all of the data from the device.
Was this information helpful? Send us your comments.