After you switch devices
For information about returning your previous device to BlackBerry for recycling and safe disposal, visit www.blackberry.com/recycling. The recycling and trade-up program is only available in certain areas.
The first time that you open BBM, you are prompted for your BlackBerry ID. If you have used BBM before, consider the following:
- If you are switching BlackBerry devices, you can use the Device Switch feature in BlackBerry Link on your computer or on a device running BlackBerry 7 or later to transfer your device data, including your contacts and groups from BBM 6.2 or earlier, to a new device.
- If you previously associated BBM with your BlackBerry ID (for example, on your current device), you can sign in with the same BlackBerry ID to restore your BBM data over the wireless network.
Your BBM data, such as your contacts, are automatically backed up over the wireless network based on your BlackBerry ID. It's still a good idea to regularly save a backup file for your device on a computer using BlackBerry Link in case your device is lost, stolen, or corrupted.
Transfer passwords to Password Keeper
- On your BlackBerry 10 device, download the Password Keeper app from BlackBerry World storefront.
- On the home screen, tap Password Keeper.
- Enter your Password Keeper password.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Tap Settings > Import Passwords.
- Enter your previous Password Keeper or BlackBerry Wallet password to transfer the passwords from a previous device to the Password Keeper app.
After the Password Keeper data is imported, it is removed from the backup file; however, other personal data remains in the backup file.
Tips after switching devices
After you have finished switching BlackBerry devices, consider doing the following:
- If you have a media card, move it from your old device to your new device.
- To receive all of your messages and updates, add email and social networking accounts to your new device.
- Wipe your old device to delete all of your data. To delete all of your device data, if necessary, set a device password and then enter the password incorrectly ten times.
- Download apps from the BlackBerry World storefront.
- Explore the Help app on your device and discover tips and tricks.
Was this information helpful? Send us your comments.