Before you switch devices
For information about how to switch to a BlackBerry device from an older BlackBerry device or a third-party device, visit www.blackberry.com/deviceswitch.
Learn what transfer options are available to you
The types of data transferred depends on the transfer method you use and the type of smartphone you're transferring data from. Data transferred might include some settings, phone history, pictures, music, browser bookmarks, and so on. For a list of the type of data that is transferred, visit www.blackberry.com/deviceswitch.
- Switching from BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or later? On a computer, you can use BlackBerry Link to switch devices. Learn how to switch devices using BlackBerry Link.
- Switching from BlackBerry 7.0 or BlackBerry 7.1? You can use a media card on your device to switch devices. Learn how to switch devices using a media card.
- Switching from a BlackBerry device that has BlackBerry Protect installed? You can use BlackBerry Protect to transfer supported data, such as contacts, from your current device's backup file to your new device. Learn how to switch devices using BlackBerry Protect.
- Switching from an iPhone or Android device? You can download the device switch app from BlackBerry World. Learn how to switch devices using the device switch app.
- Click Options > About.
- Click Options > Device > About Device Versions.
Make note of your usernames and passwords
Before you switch BlackBerry devices, make sure that you have the following:
- If you have saved usernames and passwords in Password Keeper, consider temporarily writing this information down so that you have it when you're ready to add accounts to your new device.
- If you have a device running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or later, you might have created a BlackBerry ID that you used to log in to your device and the BlackBerry World storefront. If you log in to your BlackBerry 10 device with your BlackBerry ID, you might be able to reinstall apps that you downloaded previously from BlackBerry App World and access BlackBerry products that use your BlackBerry ID, such as BBM and BlackBerry Protect.
Although it's not required to switch BlackBerry devices, you should update to the latest available version of BBM and associate BBM with your BlackBerry ID before you switch devices.
- To see which version of BBM you're running on your old device, look for BlackBerry Messenger in your list of installed applications.
- To download BBM 7.0 or later on your old device, visit the BlackBerry World storefront or www.bbm.com.
What if I have contacts on my SIM card?
Your BlackBerry 10 device uses a micro SIM card. To get a micro SIM card for your device, contact your service provider.
If you saved contacts to your old SIM card, to make sure those contacts aren't lost, you might need to copy those contacts to your old device before you back up your device data.
Was this information helpful? Send us your comments.