After you switch devices
For information about returning your previous device to Research In Motion for recycling and safe disposal, visit www.blackberry.com/recycling. The recycling and trade-up program is only available in certain areas.
Restoring your BBM contacts and groups
The first time that you open BBM, you are prompted for your BlackBerry ID. If you have used BBM before, consider the following:
- If you are switching BlackBerry devices, you can use the Device Switch feature in BlackBerry Link on your computer or on a device running BlackBerry 7 or later to transfer your device data, including your contacts and groups from BBM 6.2 or earlier, to a new device.
- If you previously associated BBM with your BlackBerry ID (for example, on your current device), you can sign in with the same BlackBerry ID to restore your BBM data over the wireless network.
After setting up BBM, your contacts, profile, and groups are automatically backed up over the wireless network based on your BlackBerry ID. It's still a good idea to regularly save a backup file for your device on a computer using BlackBerry Link in case your device is lost, stolen, or corrupted.
Transfer passwords from the Password Keeper app
- On your BlackBerry 10 device, download the Password Keeper app from BlackBerry World storefront.
- On the home screen, tap Password Keeper.
- Complete the instructions on the screen.
Set up an account on your device
- On the home screen, swipe down from the top of the screen.
- Tap Settings > Accounts.
- If you already added an account to your device, tap to add another account.
Tips after switching devices
After you have finished switching BlackBerry devices, consider doing the following:
- If you have a media card, move it from your old device to your new device.
- To receive all of your messages and updates, add email and social networking accounts to your new device.
- Wipe your old device to delete all of your data. To delete all of your device data, if necessary, set a device password and then enter the password incorrectly ten times.
- Download apps from the BlackBerry World storefront.
- Explore the Help app on your device and discover tips and tricks.
Was this information helpful? Send us your comments.