Before you switch devices
For information about how to switch to a BlackBerry device from a third-party device, visit www.blackberry.com/deviceswitch.
Learn what transfer options are available to you
You can transfer device data, including some settings, phone history, pictures, music, browser bookmarks, and so on, from one BlackBerry device to another. To transfer data to your BlackBerry 10 device, you can use either BlackBerry Link on your computer or you can use a media card on your device.
- Devices running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or later
- If you're switching from a device running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or later, you can use BlackBerry Link on your computer to transfer most of your important files. To download BlackBerry Link, on your computer, visit www.blackberry.com/BlackBerryLink and select the Windows or Mac option.
- Devices running BlackBerry 7 or BlackBerry 7.1
- If you're switching from a device running BlackBerry 7 or BlackBerry 7.1, you can use BlackBerry Link on your computer to transfer most of your important files. To download BlackBerry Link, on your computer, visit www.blackberry.com/BlackBerryLink and select the Windows or Mac option. You can also use a media card to transfer your files.
- Click Options > About.
- Click Options > Device > About Device Versions.
Make note of your usernames and passwords
Before you switch BlackBerry devices, make sure that you have the following:
- If you have saved usernames and passwords in Password Keeper, consider temporarily writing this information down so that you have it when you're ready to add accounts to your new device.
- If you have a device running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or later, you might have created a BlackBerry ID that you used to log in to your device and the BlackBerry World storefront. If you log in to your BlackBerry 10 device with your BlackBerry ID, you might be able to reinstall apps that you downloaded previously from BlackBerry App World and access BlackBerry products that use your BlackBerry ID, such as BBM and BlackBerry Protect.
Although it's not a requirement for switching BlackBerry devices, we recommend that you update to the latest available version of BBM before you switch devices. If you update your version of BBM, your BBM contacts on your old device will be automatically backed up based on your BlackBerry ID.
- To check which version of BBM that you're currently running, in the device settings on your old device, look for BlackBerry Messenger in your list of installed applications.
If you aren't running BBM 7.0 or later, on your old device, do one of the
- Download BBM 7.0 or later from the BlackBerry World storefront or from www.blackberry.com/bbm.
- If you can't update your version of BBM, press the key > Options > Back Up. Select a backup option.
What if I have contacts on my SIM card?
Your BlackBerry 10 device uses a micro SIM card. To get a micro SIM card for your device, contact your service provider.
If you saved contacts to your old SIM card, to make sure those contacts aren't lost, you might need to copy those contacts to your old device before you back up your device data.
Was this information helpful? Send us your comments.