About the BlackBerry Desktop Software
The BlackBerry Desktop Software is designed to link the data, media files, and applications on your BlackBerry smartphone or your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet with your computer.
You can use the BlackBerry Desktop Software to do the following tasks with your smartphone or tablet:
- Synchronize your media files (music, pictures, and videos)
- Back up and restore your data
- Update your BlackBerry Device Software or BlackBerry Tablet OS
- Transfer your settings and data to a new smartphone or new tablet
- Manage multiple smartphones and tablets
- Charge your smartphone or tablet
Additionally, you can do the following tasks with your smartphone:
- Synchronize your organizer data (calendar entries, contacts, tasks, and memos)
- Manage and update your smartphone applications
- Use your smartphone as a modem to connect to the Internet from your computer
Features that aren't supported for the tablet won't appear on the BlackBerry Desktop Software screens when your tablet is connected.
The first time you open the BlackBerry Desktop Software, you're prompted to set some preferences, like starting the software when you connect your smartphone or tablet and automatically checking for software updates.
The home screen of the BlackBerry Desktop Software provides you with quick access to common tasks and provides information about your connected smartphone or tablet, such as the model information and the last dates that your data was backed up and synchronized. If you have used the BlackBerry Desktop Software with other smartphones or tablets, you can connect these smartphones or tablets and switch between them using the Device menu.
Was this information helpful? Send us your comments.