Update your BlackBerry Device Software
You might want to update your BlackBerry Device Software for one of the following reasons:
- To access new applications and features
- To resolve a technical issue
- Your wireless service provider requires that you update the BlackBerry Device Software
If an updated version of the BlackBerry Device Software is available for you to download, on the home screen of the BlackBerry Desktop Software, the new version number is listed and the Update button appears.
It might take up to an hour to update your smartphone software. During that time, you cannot disconnect your BlackBerry smartphone from your computer.
- Connect your smartphone to your computer.
- On the home screen of the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click Update.
- To download an update, click Get update.
- To view other available versions of the BlackBerry Device Software, click View other versions. If applicable, click another version. Click Install.
- Do any of the following:
- To keep a backup file of your smartphone data and settings, select the Back up your device data checkbox. This backup file is restored to your smartphone after the update is complete. If you don't back up your data, your smartphone data, settings, and email messages are deleted from your smartphone after the update is installed.
- To encrypt your backup data, click Encrypt backup file.
- If you want to receive an email when an updated version of BlackBerry Device Software is available, select the Keep me subscribed to email notifications checkbox.
- Click Install update.
Was this information helpful? Send us your comments.