About the BlackBerry Desktop Software
The BlackBerry Desktop Software is designed to link the data, media files, and applications on your BlackBerry smartphone or BlackBerry PlayBook tablet with your Mac computer.
You can use the BlackBerry Desktop Software to do the following tasks with your smartphone or tablet:
- Back up and restore your smartphone and tablet data
- Synchronize your media files (music, pictures, and videos)
- Import pictures and videos
- Update your BlackBerry Device Software or BlackBerry Tablet OS
- Manage multiple smartphones and tablets
Additionally, you can use the BlackBerry Desktop Software to do the following tasks with your smartphone:
- Transfer your smartphone settings and data to a new BlackBerry smartphone
- Synchronize your organizer data (calendar entries, contacts, tasks, and memos)
- Add, update, or delete your smartphone applications
- Charge your smartphone
Features that aren't supported for the tablet won't appear on the BlackBerry Desktop Software screens when your tablet is connected.
The main screen of the BlackBerry Desktop Software provides you with quick access to common tasks, such as opening your smartphone or tablet options and importing media files, and provides information about your connected smartphone or tablet, such as the model information and the date that your data was last backed up or synchronized.
If you have used the BlackBerry Desktop Software with other smartphones or tablets, you can connect these smartphones or tablets and switch between them using the Device menu.