Search This Document
Switch to a new smartphone
Before you switch from your current BlackBerry® smartphone to a new BlackBerry smartphone, verify that you have the most recent version of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software on your computer.
- Connect your current smartphone to your computer.
- On your computer, in the Applications folder, click the BlackBerry Desktop Software icon.
- On the Device menu, click Switch Device.
- If you have a second USB cable, connect your new smartphone to your computer. Otherwise, you can connect your new smartphone in step 7.
Do any of the following:
- If you want to install updated BlackBerry® Device Software on your new smartphone, if available, select the Update new device to recommended system software, if applicable check box.
- If you want to move your existing third-party applications to your new smartphone (if they are compatible), select the Copy third-party applications check box.
- Click Start. Your smartphone data is backed up automatically.
- If you didn't connect your new smartphone to your computer in step 4, disconnect your previous smartphone and connect your new smartphone. Click OK.
- If your new smartphone is running BlackBerry® 6, you can install Wi-Fi music sync on your smartphone. Select the Turn on Wi-Fi music sync check box. Click Continue.
- When the summary screen appears, your smartphone data has been imported to your new smartphone.
- If you have a SIM card or media card (or both), move them to your new smartphone.
Next topic: Media
Previous topic: About switching to a new smartphone