Switch your device
Before you switch from your current BlackBerry® device to a new BlackBerry device, verify that you have the most recent version of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software on your computer.
- Connect your current device to your computer.
- On your computer, in the Applications folder, click the BlackBerry Desktop Software icon.
- On the Device menu, click Switch Device.
- If you have a second USB cable, connect your new device to your computer. Otherwise, you can connect your new device in step 7.
Do any of the following:
- If you want to install updated BlackBerry® Device Software on your new device, if available, select the Update new device to recommended system software, if applicable check box.
- If you want to move your existing third-party applications to your new device (if they are compatible), select the Copy third-party applications check box.
- Click Start. Your device data is backed up automatically.
- If you didn't connect your new device to your computer in step 4, disconnect your previous device and connect your new device. Click OK.
- If your new device is running BlackBerry® 6, you can install Wi-Fi music sync on your device. Select the Turn on Wi-Fi music sync check box. Click Continue.
- When the summary screen appears, your device data has been imported to your new device.
- If you have a SIM card or media card (or both), move them to your new device.
Next topic: Media
Previous topic: About switching devices