Themes determine the look and feel of BlackBerry devices. A theme can change the appearance and structure of the Home screen, the application list, banner, dialog boxes, title bars, and other elements of the UI such as fonts and background colors.
BlackBerry 7 is the default theme for BlackBerry devices using BlackBerry 7. This theme is characterized by fashionable and stylistic design motifs that balance both functional and emotional elements.
Best practice: Designing themes
- Limit the use of bright colors to icons and text. Use less saturated color for background images so that the background images do not overpower icons or text.
- Choose a highlight color that has high contrast and clearly implies focus (for example, white text on a blue background). Use the same highlight color for all components.
- Avoid changing the font, font size, or font style for highlighted text or items.
- Limit the number of fonts that you use.
- Make sure that any text in your UI is legible. Consider how font properties affect users' ability to read the text.
Guidelines for images
- Keep the size of your theme file small by reducing the size of the images and optimizing the images where possible. Large theme files can affect the performance of BlackBerry devices.
- Create background images in a uniform color with subtle patterns so that the background images do not overpower the text on controls such as menus, buttons, or dialog boxes.
- Provide background images in the appropriate sizes for each BlackBerry device that supports the theme.