Input dialog boxes
Use an input dialog box when users must specify information such as a date or file name. After users type the required information, they can press the Enter key to close the dialog box and save their changes. To close the dialog box without saving changes, users can press the Escape key. You can include buttons on this type of dialog box.
Best practice: Implementing input dialog boxes
- Allow users to press the Escape key to close the dialog box.
- Use a concise, descriptive phrase for field labels.
- Avoid stating in the message that users must provide information. Use the labels to imply that action is required.
- If necessary, include hint text to provide guidance to users.
- Punctuate field labels with a colon (:).