BlackBerry 7 theme icons and indicators
The BlackBerry 7 theme icons use a simple line form that maintains a 2-D orthographic view. In BlackBerry 7, the icons retain the silhouette of the BlackBerry 6 theme icons. What's new is the beautiful, realistic lighting as well as more vibrant, eye-catching colors and a greater sense of depth to the icons.
Indicators are 2-D objects that appear straight on. You can include indicators in the banner, title bar, or in applications (for example, message indicators in a message list).
To find the meaning of a specific icon, see the Icon Guide that matches your version of BlackBerry Device Software.
Best practice: Designing icons and indicators for the BlackBerry 7 theme
Icons maintain the same corners, form, and weight as their counterparts in BlackBerry 6.
Consider the following guidelines:
- Create 24-bit .png files.
- Create icons that are consistent with the default icons in size, weight, and centering.
- Add shadow, lighting, and texture to define your icon.
- Apply an outer glow and a drop shadow to make sure that the icons appear clearly on any background.
- For application icons, create an icon file that does not exceed the recommended size for each BlackBerry device model. This size includes the canvas. Keep the weight of the object inside an area that is 72% of the canvas size, although smaller elements can extend outside this area. The maximum size allowed for the object is 81% of the canvas size. If the object within the canvas exceeds this size, it could be scaled down and upset the line weights and gradients.
The icons in BlackBerry 7 draw inspiration from premium materials and create a high-quality look and feel to the icons. Use the look of one or a combination of the following materials to align with the design and aesthetics for BlackBerry 7.