Best practice: Fonts
- Inherit the font from the theme where possible. The default settings are designed to make text easy to read on each BlackBerry® device model. If you use another font or change the point size, verify that the text is readable on BlackBerry devices.
- Use the FontManager class to install custom fonts. For more information about installing custom fonts, see the API reference guide for the BlackBerry® Java® SDK and the BlackBerry Java Application UI and Navigation Development Guide.
- If you use multiple fonts in an interface, use fonts that are from the same font family.
- Avoid using bold for emphasis.
- Avoid using fixed font sizes and small font sizes.
- Avoid using italic and underlined text. These font styles can make text difficult to read.
- Avoid anti-aliasing small fonts. Anti-aliasing smooths the font edges, but with very small fonts anti-aliasing can make the text appear blurry.
- Verify that all UI elements are clearly visible in low lighting conditions.
- Consider the legibility of the text. Text becomes illegible when it appears on a background of a similar color or brightness.
Next topic: Writing conventions
Previous topic: Text