In BlackBerry® Enterprise Server version 4.1 SP5 and later, you can apply an application control policy to a BlackBerry® MDS Runtime Application that was created using BlackBerry® MDS Studio version 2.0 or later or the BlackBerry® Plug-in for Microsoft® Visual Studio® version 1.1 or later. You can use an application control policy to specify the types of data on BlackBerry devices that the BlackBerry MDS Runtime Application can and cannot access. For example, you can apply an application control policy that restricts a BlackBerry MDS Runtime Application from accessing the organizer data on BlackBerry devices.
To apply an application control policy to a BlackBerry MDS Runtime Application, you must add an application launcher file (.cod) for the BlackBerry MDS Runtime Application to a software configuration. You must then apply an application control policy to the application launcher file. When you assign the software configuration to users, the application launcher file installs on BlackBerry devices and enforces the application control policy for the BlackBerry MDS Runtime Application. Only BlackBerry devices that are running BlackBerry® MDS Runtime version 4.5 or later can use the application launcher file.
- Create a .txt file.
- Rename the .txt file <application_name>.alx.
- In a text editor, open the .alx file.
- Copy the following text into the .alx file. Replace the variables with the appropriate information that the application developer provides. The application launcher ID must be in ASCII and contain no punctuation or spaces. The application launcher ID must be unique.
<fileset Java="1.0" Color="true">
- Save and close the .alx file.
- In the BlackBerry Administration Service, add the .zip file for the application launcher to the application repository.
- Create a software configuration that includes the application launcher for the BlackBerry MDS Runtime Application.
- Apply an application control policy to the application launcher.
- Assign the software configuration to user accounts that have the BlackBerry MDS Runtime Application installed and activated on their BlackBerry devices.