- A user attaches a file to a message on a BlackBerry® device and sends the message.
- If the BlackBerry device is not running BlackBerry® Device Software version 4.2 or later, and if the BlackBerry device does not have a CMIME service book that indicates that the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server supports attachment uploads, the Add Attachment menu item does not appear on the BlackBerry device.
- If the user tries to attach a file that exceeds the maximum file size that you specified, a notification appears and the user cannot attach the file.
- The BlackBerry Dispatcher decrypts and decompresses the message using the device transport key of the BlackBerry device.
- The BlackBerry Messaging Agent stores the message properties in the user’s mailbox.
- The BlackBerry device sends the attachment content through the BlackBerry Dispatcher to the BlackBerry Messaging Agent.
If the file size of the attachment content exceeds a single data packet, the BlackBerry device divides the content into multiple data packets and sends the data packets to the BlackBerry Messaging Agent.
During the delivery of the attachment content, if the BlackBerry Messaging Agent does not receive content from the BlackBerry device for 15 minutes, the BlackBerry Messaging Agent cancels the message, deletes the partial attachment content from temporary storage, and sends an error message to the BlackBerry device.After all of the attachment content arrives, the BlackBerry Messaging Agent checks for other attachments that might be part of the same message.
The messaging server delivers the message to the intended recipients.