Configuring a BlackBerry Device Service for development
- Verify that your development computer has network access to the computers that host the BlackBerry Device Service components and the BlackBerry Administration Service.
- Add the BlackBerry Administration Service certificate to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities certificate store so that your application can authenticate with the BlackBerry Administration Service.
- Create the BlackBerry Administration Service administrator account that your application can use to manage the BlackBerry Device Service (or determine an existing account that your application can use).
- Determine the administrative tasks that you want your application to perform, and identify the BlackBerry Web Services APIs that you want your application to use. For more information about the available APIs, see Using the BlackBerry Web Services API reference and BlackBerry Web Services APIs.
- See BlackBerry Web Services APIs and administrative roles and Administrative roles for the BlackBerry Device Service to identify the appropriate role for the administrator account that your application will use. For example, if you want your application to create user accounts, the application needs to use an administrator account that has a role with the Create a user permission. Select a predefined role with the required permissions, or create a custom role, and assign the role to the administrator account. For the security and stability of your BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 domain, it is a best practice to use a role that is limited to the required permissions. As you develop and test your application, you can modify the role as necessary.
It is recommended that you install one or more instances of the BlackBerry Device Service to use specifically for testing and debugging your applications. Using a test environment can prevent accidental changes to your organization's production environment. The version of the test BlackBerry Device Service and BlackBerry Administration Service should match the version used in your production environment, to ensure that the features and functionality of the BlackBerry Web Services remain the same.
When you are ready to implement your applications in your organization's production environment, consider using a trusted certificate that is signed by a certification authority.
For more information about installing and configuring the BlackBerry Device Service, visit www.blackberry.com/go/serverdocs to read the BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 Installation Guide and the BlackBerry Device Service Advanced Administration Guide.
Was this information helpful? Send us your comments.