Search This Document
Start the synchronization process
The amount of time that the BlackBerry Directory Sync Tool requires to complete the synchronization process varies depending on the number of changes that the tool must complete. The amount of time that the tool requires to assign a user account to a group or to remove a user account from a group is similar to the amount of time that it takes to perform the same task using the administration console.
Note: It is a best practice to run the tool during low usage periods. Depending on the number of changes that must be synchronized, the tool might have a performance impact on your organization's environment.
Before you begin:
- If necessary, map groups in Microsoft Active Directory to virtual provisioning groups.
- Map groups in Microsoft Active Directory to BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 groups.
- Preview the synchronization process.
- On the computer that hosts the BlackBerry Directory Sync Tool, on the taskbar, click Start > All Programs > BlackBerry Resource Kit for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 > BlackBerry Directory Sync Tool client.
To determine what tool does when a BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 group is mapped to a Microsoft Active
Directory group that does not exist in the directory, perform one of
the following actions:
- If you want to remove all user accounts from the BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 group, select the Force Synchronization check box.
- If you do not want to remove user accounts from the BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 group, clear the Force Synchronization check box. Details are written to the report and log file.
- If you want to view the report after the preview completes, select the Show Report check box.
- Click Execute.
- To review the report, click View > Report.
- To review the log file, click File > Open Application Data Folder.
After you finish:
- If you enabled provisioning and the synchronization process added administrator accounts to the BlackBerry Device Service or Universal Device Service, use the administration console to assign administrative roles to the accounts.
- When the tool adds a device-enabled user account to the server instance, the server instance does not send an activation email to users. You must send the activation information to users.
- You can use the Scheduled Tasks system tool in Windows, or any task scheduling application, to run the tool automatically at a set interval. When you create the scheduled task to run the tool, specify the full path of the tool and the -preview or -execute command. If the path includes spaces, enclose the path in quotation marks (for example, "C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Resource Kit for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10\DirectorySync.exe" -execute). Configure the task to run using the same Windows account that you used to map groups.
- If you change the membership of a BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 group using the administration console, you must make the same changes to the Microsoft Active Directory group that is mapped to the BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 group. If you do not make the same changes to the Microsoft Active Directory group, the changes that you made might be reverted the next time you run the synchronization process.
Was this information helpful? Send us your comments.