Distributing the BlackBerry Client for Microsoft SharePoint to devices using the BlackBerry Administration Service
You can distribute the BlackBerry Client for Microsoft SharePoint to BlackBerry devices using the BlackBerry Administration Service, which is the administrative console for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. You can use this method to have more control over how and when the application is installed on devices. You can specify whether you want the client to be installed over the wireless network or through a wired connection to the BlackBerry Web Desktop Manager, and you can specify whether you want the application to be required or optional (BlackBerry device users cannot uninstall a required application). This method also gives you the ability to install, update, or remove the application without requiring any action from users.
For more information about distributing a BlackBerry Java Application using the BlackBerry Administration Service, visit www.blackberry.com/go/serverdocs to read the "Sending software and BlackBerry Java Applications to BlackBerry devices" section in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Administration Guide. To distribute the application, you must perform the following tasks in the BlackBerry Administration Service:
- Configure the required IT policy rules for the BlackBerry Client for Microsoft SharePoint. Assign the appropriate IT policy to users.
- Specify a shared network folder for BlackBerry Java Applications.
- Add the application files to the application repository. You can find the application files in the SharePoint.zip file in <drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\SNAP\SP\snap_tomcat\webapps\ROOT\spClient.
- Create a software configuration.
- Add the application to the software configuration and configure whether you want it to be required or optional, and whether you want the installation to be wired or wireless. Select an application control policy for the application (the application control policy defines the resources that the application can access on the device).
- Assign the software configuration to a group or specific users.
You can add new versions of the application to the software configuration to update the application on devices, or you can remove the application from the software configuration to remove it from devices.
Was this information helpful? Send us your comments.