The standalone application loader tool is included in the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Express installation files. You can make the standalone application loader tool available from a shared network folder and provide users with a link to run the tool and install the BlackBerry Java® on their BlackBerry devices. The users must connect their BlackBerry devices to their computers to install the BlackBerry Java Application.
You must install the BlackBerry® Device Manager on users’ computers so that users can use this method to install BlackBerry Java Applications. The BlackBerry Device Manager manages the connection between the standalone application loader tool and the BlackBerry device. The BlackBerry Device Manager is included in the BlackBerry® Desktop Software. You can also install the BlackBerry Device Manager on users' computers without installing the full BlackBerry Desktop Software. To download the BlackBerry Device Manager or the BlackBerry Desktop Software, visit na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/.
You can also use the standalone application loader tool to install BlackBerry Java Applications in automated mode on BlackBerry devices. Automated mode installs the BlackBerry Java Application on BlackBerry devices without giving users the option to cancel the installation.
Advantages of this method include:
Disadvantages of this method include:
- .alx file and .cod files: The .alx file is the application descriptor that provides information about the application and the location of the application's .cod files. A .cod file contains compiled and packaged application code. The standalone application loader tool requires these files to install the BlackBerry Java Application.
- required modules: Some BlackBerry Java Applications require modules that are part of the BlackBerry® Device Software. The required modules are listed in the .alx file in a <requires> tag. If the required modules do not exist on the BlackBerry device, you must install the required BlackBerry Device Software on the BlackBerry device. For more information about application dependencies, visit www.blackberry.com/developers to read the BlackBerry Java Development Environment Development Guide.
- required BlackBerry Java Applications: To configure a BlackBerry Java Application as required on a BlackBerry device, in the .alx file, after the copyright statement, add the following tag: <required>true</required>.
Configure the standalone application loader tool to install the BlackBerry Java Application in automated mode
- Connect the BlackBerry device to your computer.
- If prompted, type your BlackBerry device password.
- Click Next.
- On your computer, click the link to the loader.exe file that your administrator provided you with.
- If a security warning displays, click Run.
- Complete the instructions on the screen.
- When the installation process completes, click Close.