Permitting users to update the BlackBerry Device Software using the BlackBerry Device Software update web site
To permit BlackBerry® device users to update the BlackBerry® Device Software using the update web site, on the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Express Express, you must configure the IT policy rules that are included in the Wired Software Updates policy group. To permit users to use the update web site you must set the value of the Allow Web-Based Software Loading IT policy rule to yes. To permit devices to automatically activate services following a software update you must set the value of the Cryptographic Services Backup IT policy rule to yes. You must set both IT policy rules to yes to permit users to update the BlackBerry Device Software from the update web site.
Users can access the update web site at www.blackberry.com/update and follow the on-screen instructions to update the BlackBerry Device Software over the Internet. If users did not install the BlackBerry® Desktop Software on their computers, they can download the application loader tool from the update web site. After the update process completes, the device automatically activates all BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express Express services and BlackBerry® Internet Service services.
Users can only use this update option if they update a device that is running BlackBerry Device Software 5.0 or later.
This method has the following advantages:
- Users can update devices from a computer that is not connected to your organization's domain, for example, from a home computer.
- You are not required to distribute large update packages over your organization's LAN.
- Users can complete the software update whether or not they install the BlackBerry Desktop Software on their computers. Users can use BlackBerry Desktop Software 5.0.1 or later, or they can use the application loader tool that is available on the update web site to update the BlackBerry Device Software.
- When users connect their devices to their computers, the BlackBerry Desktop Software checks automatically for BlackBerry Device Software updates that are available on the update web site.
This method has the following disadvantages:
- You cannot require users to update the BlackBerry Device Software.
- You cannot manage BlackBerry Device Software updates using software configurations.
For more information about updating BlackBerry Device Software using the update web site, see the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Security Technical Overview. For more information about the IT policy rules that are included in the Wired Software Updates policy group, see the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Policy Reference Guide.