Process flow: Activating a device over the wireless network
- A user opens the activation application on the BlackBerry® device, and types the appropriate email address and activation password.
- The device sends an activation request to the BlackBerry® Infrastructure using standard BlackBerry protocols. The BlackBerry Infrastructure uses SMTP to send an activation message to the user’s email account. The activation message contains routing information for the device and public keys.
- The BlackBerry® Enterprise Server sends an activation response to the device. The activation response contains routing information for the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and the long-term public keys of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
- The BlackBerry Enterprise Server and device use the initial key establishment protocol to generate a device transport key and verify it. If the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and device mutually verify the device transport key, the activation process proceeds. The BlackBerry Enterprise Server and device use the device transport key to encrypt further communication between each other without sending the device transport key over the wireless network.
- The BlackBerry Enterprise Server performs the following actions:
For more information about the activation process, see the BlackBerry Wireless Enterprise Activation Technical Overview.
Next topic: Managing certificates on a device
Previous topic: Activating a device over the wireless network