Installing BlackBerry Java Applications using a web browser on BlackBerry devices
You can install BlackBerry® Java® Applications on BlackBerry devices over the wireless network. This method does not require users to connect their BlackBerry devices to their computers.
You can add the required files for the BlackBerry Java Application (a .jad file and the application .cod or .jar files) to a web server, and instruct users to navigate to the appropriate web address using a browser on their BlackBerry devices. Users can use the BlackBerry® Browser or the wireless service provider’s WAP Browser. When users access the web address, they can click a download option to install the BlackBerry Java Application on their BlackBerry devices.
This method has the following advantages:
- You do not have to install the BlackBerry®
Desktop Software on users’ computers.
- Users do not have to connect their BlackBerry devices to their computers.
- Users are responsible for completing the installation.
This method has the following disadvantages:
- You cannot control when users install the BlackBerry Java Application.
- Installing a BlackBerry Java Application
on BlackBerry devices over the wireless network can result in increased network usage.
Prerequisites: Installing BlackBerry Java Applications using a web browser on BlackBerry devices
- BlackBerry® APIs and Java® ME (standard on BlackBerry devices)
Configure the following MIME types on the web server to permit users to download and install BlackBerry
Java Applications on BlackBerry devices:
- .cod files: application/vnd.rim.cod
- .jad files: text/vnd.sun.j2me.app-descriptor
- .jar files (optional): application/java-archive
BlackBerry Java Application
- .jad file: The .jad file is the application descriptor that provides information about the application and the location of the application’s .cod or .jar files.
- .cod or .jar files: These files contain compiled and packaged application code.
Install the BlackBerry Java Application on a web server
Before you begin:
Obtain the .jad and .cod files or .jar files for the BlackBerry® Java® Application
from the application developer, vendor, or wireless service provider.
After you finish:
- Create a web page that you can use to install the BlackBerry Java Application on BlackBerry devices.
- Copy the application .jad and .cod files or .jar files to the web server that hosts the web page.
Select a distribution method (for example, an email message or an intranet web page) that you can use to provide users with the web address for the web page that you created.
Install the BlackBerry Java Application using a web browser on the BlackBerry device
Send these instructions to users.
- Open a web browser on the BlackBerry® device.
- Navigate to the web address that your administrator provided you with.
- Click Download.
Was this information helpful? Send us your comments.