When a BlackBerry device overwrites data in the BlackBerry device memory
A BlackBerry® device continually runs the memory cleaner application during the Java® based garbage collection process to overwrite data in the BlackBerry device memory that the BlackBerry device no longer uses.
- You or a BlackBerry device user turns on content protection for the BlackBerry device.
- An application uses the RIM® Cryptographic API to create a private key or symmetric key.
- A third-party application turns on the garbage collection process by registering with the memory cleaner application on the BlackBerry device. The memory cleaner application instructs applications to empty caches and to free the BlackBerry device memory that is associated with sensitive application data that the applications no longer use.
- A BlackBerry device user installs the S/MIME Support Package for BlackBerry® smartphones on the BlackBerry device.
- A BlackBerry device user installs the PGP® Support Package for BlackBerry® smartphones on the BlackBerry device.
When the BlackBerry device runs the garbage collection process, the garbage collection process overwrites the data that the BlackBerry device no longer uses with zeroes, periodically runs the memory cleaner application, and overwrites the memory that the memory cleaner application frees.