How the BlackBerry Desktop Manager protects communication using the BlackBerry inter-process protocol
The application loader tool of the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager or the Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry® smartphones can prompt BlackBerry Desktop Manager version 4.2 or later for the BlackBerry device password.
To protect the BlackBerry device password, when the application loader tool or Roxio Media Manager for BlackBerry smartphones connects to the BlackBerry Desktop Manager, the BlackBerry Desktop Manager uses the BlackBerry inter-process protocol.
The application loader tool and Roxio Media Manager for BlackBerry smartphones share a communication password with the BlackBerry Desktop Manager. The BlackBerry inter-process protocol is designed to use the communication password to protect any communication between the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and the application loader tool or Roxio Media Manager for BlackBerry smartphones.
Process flow: Authenticating the application loader tool or Roxio Media Manager with the BlackBerry Desktop Software using the BlackBerry inter-process protocol
- The application loader tool of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software or Roxio® Media Manager opens a connection to BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.2 or later.
- The BlackBerry Desktop Software
implementation of the BlackBerry inter-process protocol performs the following actions:
- uses a shared secret password (also known as the communication password) and the ECDH protocol with a 521-bit curve to create a device transport key
- uses the device transport key to create two encryption keys and two HMAC-SHA-256 keys
- uses one encryption key and one HMAC key to encrypt and authenticate data that BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.2 or later sends over the communication channel to the BlackBerry® Enterprise Solution components that share the communication password
The BlackBerry inter-process protocol uses one encryption key and one HMAC key to encrypt and authenticate data that BlackBerry Desktop Software version 4.2 receives over the communication channel from the application loader tool or Roxio Media Manager.