Process flow: Viewing an attachment using a link
- A user clicks the Get Link menu item to view an attachment on a BlackBerry® device.
- The BlackBerry device sends the request to the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server over port 3101.
- The BlackBerry Dispatcher sends the request to the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service over port 3200.
- The BlackBerry MDS Connection Service creates an HTTP session for the user and sends the request to the web server.
- The BlackBerry Attachment Service extracts the content, layout, appearance, and navigation information from the attachment and organizes, stores, and links the information in a proprietary DOM in a binary XML style.
- The BlackBerry Attachment Service formats the attachment for the BlackBerry device and converts it to UCS format.
The formatting is based on the request for content (for example, page and paragraph information, or search words) and the available BlackBerry device information (for example, screen size, display, or available space).
- The BlackBerry Attachment Service sends the converted attachment to the BlackBerry MDS Connection Service using HTTP.
- The BlackBerry MDS Connection Service sends the first 250 KB of content to the BlackBerry Dispatcher over port 3200.
- The BlackBerry Dispatcher compresses the content, encrypts it using the device transport key of the BlackBerry device, and sends the encrypted content to the BlackBerry Router.
- The BlackBerry Router sends the encrypted content to the BlackBerry device.
- The BlackBerry device uses its device transport key to decrypt and decompress the attachment content so that the user can view the attachment.
- The user views the attachment on the BlackBerry device using the browser plug-in for the attachment viewer. The attachment viewer processes 3 KB at a time.